Macaroni salad is often a popular side dish at any summer cookouts, BBQ, gatherings, or potlucks. It is loved by kids and adults alike. This recipe adds a rich and creamy combination to your traditional macaroni salad which is truly delicious. The inspiration for this dish originates from my mom who would often make macaroni salad for family gatherings. Over time I have added a few of my own ingredients to create the BEST macaroni salad recipe. This recipe is so easy to make; simply add all your ingredients together and MIX well!
- Season the pasta water generously with salt, approximately 1 tablespoon of salt to every pound of pasta (16 cups of water to boil 1 pound of pasta)
- Creole Seasoning gives the macaroni salad a unique taste. Adjust according to your liking but not too much to overpower the other flavors.
- Add a pinch of sugar to balance out all of the flavors.
- Mayo is key to getting a creamy macaroni salad. If you need more add according to your liking.
- Raisins are optional. The recipe will still be delicious if you decide to omit it.
- If you have never used lemon juice in your macaroni salad before…..trust me you are missing out! It adds a slight of tangy flavor and pairs perfectly with all the ingredients. Trust on me on this one!
- 3 cups Elbow macaroni
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 of each bell pepper: red, green, yellow (cut into small squares)
- 2 tbsp dry raisins
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup of whole kernel corn
- 1/3 cup of sweet peas
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Cook pasta until Al Dente.
- Strain and allow macaroni to cool completely. You can place it in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Once cooled, add celery, corn, sweet peas, carrots, raisins, bell peppers, mustard, and mayonnaise. Mix well.
- Add brown sugar, creole seasoning, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Place into the refrigerator until ready to serve!