Macaroni salad is often a popular side dish at any summer cookouts, BBQ, gatherings or potlucks. It is loved by kids and adults alike. My recipe adds a rich and creamy combination to your tradional macaroni salad which is truly delicious. The inspiration for this dish originates with my mom who would often make macaroni salad for family gatherings. Over time I have added a few of my own ingredients to create my version but she has certainly taught me some helpful tips.
This recipe is ideal for pasta lovers and will teach you how to avoid dry macaroni salad! My version includes the occasional use of raisins which I have found provides a surprisingly lovely flavor. The rich and creamy macaroni salad is so easy to make; simply add all your ingredients together and MIX well!
- Season the pasta water generously with salt, approximately 1 tablespoon of salt to every pound of pasta (16 cups of water to boil 1 pound of pasta)
- Creole Seasoning gives the macaroni a beautifully unique taste. Adjust according to your liking but not too much to overpower the other flavours, for this recipe I used Tony Chachere’s.
- Add a pinch of sugar to balance out all of the flavours.
- Raisins are optional and if you’d rather then leave them out as the recipe will still be delicious.
- 3 cups Elbow macaroni
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 Peppers: red, green, yellow (cut into small squares)
- 1 ½- 2 tbsp dry raisins
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 stalks celery, thinly chopped
- 1/3 cup of whole kernel corn
- 1/3 cup of sweet peas
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning
- 1 tsp onion, grated
- ½ tablespoon Salt
- ¼ brown sugar
- Place a large saucepan of water on a high heat and bring it to boil. Then add salt and the elbow macaroni.
- Boil until cooked, according to instructions around 15 mins.
- Pour the macaroni into a strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Allow the marconi to cool completely, if you have time then place it in the fridge.
- Once cooled stir in the remaining ingredients: celery, corn, sweet peas, carrots, raisins, bell peppers, mustard, and mayonnaise.
- Mix very well and add brown sugar, creole seasoning and lemon juice.