Corn salad is delicious, simple, and super healthy to prepare! It is one of my favorite summer side dishes. Aside from corn, it contains vegetables like tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, cilantro etc., with a touch of flavors like cumin and lime juice; this salad is a perfect treat for every occasion.
The best thing about this salad is that you can add different ingredients according to your liking and create a recipe of your own….add some feta cheese or add some cucumbers for some more freshness. Either way it is so yummy!
I made this corn salad during Memorial Day weekend and the entire family enjoyed it; did not last long. I was secretly hoping to make another batch the next day.
My little one lovessssss corn so making Corn salad was such a treat for him. He ate his own and wanted to have some from his dad’s plate too….let’s just say ‘sharing is caring’.
Add this corn salad as a side or served it up as a main dish alongside any meat or seafood of your choice! Trust me it is soooo good. Having a BBQ or gathering this summer? Add this to your spread. Your guest will surely enjoy it!
What is festive corn salad?
A festive corn salad is a simple yet delicious and healthy salad that is essentially made from corn; you can use yellow corn or white corn. I used both in this recipe just because I so happen to have both on hand. But utilize what you have!
It is perfect for every occasion. Whether you are someone who follows a strict diet or someone who happens to enjoy fresh salads, this salad suits everyone’s tastebuds.
Is corn salad healthy?
Yes! Corn salad is super healthy. That is because it uses fresh vegetables. All the vegetables are low in calories and are rich in nutrients and health benefits.
Main components of a festive corn salad
Here are the main ingredients we use for this delicious and refreshing festive corn salad:
- Corn: the hero is this salad is the corn. Although you can find frozen or canned corn kernels, we use fresh or frozen corn on the cobb. The best way to use the corn is by boiling it and then finishing it off on a grill or cast iron to get beautiful charr on the corn. Next, separate the kernels.
- Avocado: fresh, ripe avocado is creamy, delicious, and healthy.
- Tomato: Fresh red tomatoes do not just add colour to the salad but also add flavour. You can also use cherry tomatoes and cut them in half or even quarters.
- Lime: Juice from fresh lime adds tanginess to the salad and makes it zesty and refreshing. It also allows the vegetables to stay fresh when stored away.
- Olive oil: A dash of olive oil in the salad gives it a depth of flavour and glossiness.
- Cilantro: Freshly chopped cilantro also adds freshness to the salad.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers come in red, yellow, and green color. They not only add colour to the salad but also add a crunchy texture to it. Plus, the mildly sweet flavour adds to the salad as well.
- Onion: Onion also brings crunch to the salad and adds color. You can use red or yellow onion for this salad. Whatever is readily available to you.
- Seasoning: To season this salad, we will use freshly ground black pepper, ground cuminand plain
Tips and tricks for perfect corn salad
Although making corn salad is the easiest thing ever, here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Because avocado is that one ingredient that does not stay fresh for a longer time and starts getting brown, it is better to add it at the last minute. If you are preparing the salad in advance, you will need to add it just before serving.
- If you toss chopped avocado in fresh lime juice, you can save it from getting brown. So, if you are making the salad in advance, combine avocado and lime juice.
- You can also create a dressing by adding olive oil, lime juice and seasonings in a separate bowl. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well.
- Never add hot or warm corn kernels to the salad. Make sure all the ingredients are either cold or at room temperature.
- You may remove the seeds from the tomatoes before adding it to the salad. The seeds can produce unwanted water in the salad.
The thing about this salad is that you can do so much with it. Keeping the corn in the recipe, you can add many different vegetables and ingredients to enhance the flavours and textures. Here are a few ideas on adding more flavours and textures to the salad:
- Jalapeno: Jalapenos have a tangy yet spicy flavour that will give the salad a new dimension. However, make sure the jalapenos you add are deseeded otherwise it will be spicy!
- Basil: Basil has a peppery, slightly sweet, and savory. Adding finely chopped basil to the salad will give it a depth of flavor. Try it, and I am sure you will love the taste.
- Cheese: how about adding crumbly feta cheese to the salad? The cheese is creamy, rich and a perfect way to satisfy your cheese cravings.
- Lime zest: A little lime zest in the dressing will also add zestier and more citrusy flavour to the salad.
- Chipotle chili powder: For more flavor and spices, add chipotle chili powder. It adds the spice you are looking for.
How to store festive corn salad?
Storing corn salad is super easy. You can compile the ingredients and place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator. The leftover salad will last for about three days in the refrigerator.Print