One of my favorite appetizers. The center is delicious and cheesy with a buttery flaky crust. So Good!
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup Crisco shortening cut into cubes
- 2 eggs yolk
- ¼ cup ice-cold water
- 8 eggs
- 1-cup evaporated milk
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1 finely grated garlic
- 1/8 tsp creole seasoning
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp mustard
- ¼ red bell peppers
- ¼ green bell peppers
- 1 bulb of scallion (green onion)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1-cup Parmesan cheese (or any cheese you prefer), grated
- Add flour and salt to a food processor and pulse for 1 min to incorporate.
- Add butter and shortening then allow to pulse until a coarse crumbly mixture is formed.
- Add 2 egg yolks then add ¼ cup of cold water and pulse until it forms a ball.
- Press the ball into a disk on a floured surface then wrap with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Place into the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, onion powder, creole seasoning, black pepper, and mustard
Constructing your Quiche (Cheese Pie)
- Using a rolling pin, roll pastry dough very thin then cut a 6-inch circle using a cookie cutter or any equipment.
- Place crust into pan then, using your fingers, press dough down onto the top edges of the pan to get rid of the excess dough.
- Sprinkle a pinch of flour onto the top of the crust then add cheese. Add egg mixture then add peppers and scallions.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with the remaining pie crust. Place pies into the fridge as you are filling them up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top filling becomes a bit brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, remove from pan, then serve!
- Category: Appetizer