Guys, usually I will have so much to say about a recipe but for this one all I have to say is…… simply try it! It is that good beside who does not love a good fried rice recipe? I know I do!
A fantastic lunch or dinner can be ready in NO TIME. As a busy working mom, I know how important it is to have meals that taste amazing but does not take hours to prepare and this is one of those recipes. Packed with so much flavor that the entire family will surely enjoy.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Tik-Tok for a tutorial on how I made this recipe. Do enjoy!
Let us Talk Main Ingredients:
- Five Spice Powder: I cannot stress how much flavor this will add to your fried rice. It literally takes your fried rice to the next level. You should be able to find this at any local grocery or international market.
- Browning Sauce: If you do not have access to browning sauce, you can just use dark soy sauce. I have found that I prefer using this over the soy sauce to give the rice its brown color.
- Oyster sauce: Adds great flavor to the rice.
- Ginger Paste:If you have never added ginger to your fried rice, now is the time. It is simply amazing! I use fresh ginger that I finely grated for this recipe, but you can also use ginger powder. But fresh is the way to go.
- Soy sauce: If using dark soy sauce, you will only need a small amount. For the low sodium or light soy sauce, you might have to add a bit more.
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper:If you do not have access to this pepper use any hot pepper of your choice. Use enough pepper to your liking.
Tips & Tricks for making a Good Fried Rice:
- Always make sure your cooked rice is cool/cold before frying it. Once the rice is cooked you want to spread the rice out evenly in a foil pan or even a large baking sheet to cool. You can also place the rice in your fridge to cool as well.
- Steaming your rice is the best way to cook it. Once MOST of the water has evaporated, allow the rice to steam on low heat until its completely cooked. Try not to add any additional water. And if you must add, ALWAYS add HOT water.
- If you are using frozen vegetables, rinse it a couple of times then drain it completely. Frozen veggies take a bit longer to cook so you want it cooking for about 8-9 minutes.
- It is important to rinse your rice before cooking.
- Mix together oyster sauce + soy sauce in a small bowl before adding to rice.
- The steps demonstrated in this recipe for making fried rice is way my mom taught me so long ago and I have found it is a great method. The uncooked rice is first fried before being cooked. The rice comes out so much better! If you have old white rice in the fridge, you can still use this recipe just skip steps 1-4. Just add browning sauce or soy sauce into your wok during the frying process.
- Do not add too much oil to your pan just 2-3 tbsp should be fine as you do not want an oily fried rice. Remember you are adding butter as well.
- Fry your rice on high heat. It is called fried rice for a reason.
- As you are adding seasonings, taste as you go and adjust accordingly.