Fried rice is incredibly simple once you learn the technique and tricks which I’ll explain below. Vibrant ingredients and bold flavours will have your guests shouting ‘Wow!’. The dish is so simple to create that it’s a perfect fit for both a dinner party or a quick weekday meal. This fried rice recipe is simply the best, pairing well with almost any meat or seafood of your choice. I recently served a buttermilk fried quail alongside this fried rice recipe and it was absolutely delicious! … (look out for the recipe soon)
- I recommend jasmine rice as the best option for this recipe, basmati would also work.
- Chief 5 Spiced Powder can be found at your local Caribbean market, alternatively, order from Amazon or Wal-Mart.
- Cook the rice and allow to completely cool for a few hours before frying.
- My Mom’s top tip is to sprinkle a small amount of sugar at the end of cooking which perfectly balances the flavours.
- The ingredients are split in half as frying is done in two stages.
- For the best visual appearance use really thin Chinese Long Beans (Bora) rather than the swollen version.
Cook time: 20-30 mins
Serving Size: 5-6 People
- 3 cups of jasmine rice (cooked and allowed to cool for at least an hour)
- 3 scallions, chopped and divided in half
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped and divided in half
- 25 oz tin of corn, divided in half
- 6 pieces of thinly cut Chinese long beans (Bora), divided in half
- 1 carrot, grated and divided in half
- 3 tbsp celery leaves, chopped and divided half
- 1 small piece hot pepper (optional)
- 2 ½ tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Chief 5 spice powder
- 1 tspl fresh ginger, sliced and divide in half
- ½ tsp of butter
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper
- Warm a skillet on a high heat and add half of the vegetable oil. Then add the onions, garlic, hot pepper, ginger, celery and chinese long beans, fry for 3-5 mins.
- Lower the heat to Medium-High and add ½ of the cooked rice and the soy sauce to the pan, mix well.
- Add Chief 5 spice powder and cook for a further 2 mins, mixing well as it cooks.
- Season with salt, black pepper and butter, mix well.
- Finish by adding the carrots, corn and scallions, stir to combine for 1 min.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the fried rice to a serving dish.
- Repeat the process again with the remaining ingredients then serve.